Catalog & LinksCatalog | Online Libraries & Databases| Reference | Search Engines | Find Books |
Points of Interest: News | Weather | Tourism | Directories | Health | College Search| Seniors
Gunn Memorial Library is constantly adding to the collection. So if you’re a bookworm, movie buff, or avid music listener, find out how Wowbrary can keep you up to date on the library's most recent additions. Once a week, Wowbrary updates a list of these titles in an easy-to-browse website complete with images and summaries. You can also sign up to receive a weekly email of the top 20 items, based on Amazon sales rankings.
Overdrive - Audio Books and eBooks downloadable to your eBook reader and mobile devices.
iCONN's downloadable audio book service has migrated to a new location at Recorded Books as of October 1st. After a quick one-time account setup, you will be able to download all titles from a variety of publishers to your PC or Mac, as well as a number of listening devices including iPhones, iPods, iPod Touch, iPod Classic, Zen Mozaic and Zen Vision M
EBSCO Consumer Health Complete Database
Accessible from home as well as in the library, the dtabase includes full text articles, pamphlets, reports, images, drug interaction sheets and videos. Use your 14-digit library card number as your patron ID.
CatalogNote: After using any of the databases below, be sure to hit the "Exit" button when you're done so that you can then go on to another.
- Our catalog is available online through the new Bibliomation system.
- My Account lets you view your library status: books out, due dates, fines, holds, etc.
For access: Enter your 14-digit library card number, then as a password, the last four digits of your phone number (the one the library has on file). You will then be prompted to create a new password. That password must be at least seven characters long and contain at least one letter and at least one number. Please make a note of your password, as the library will not have access to it. After each session, be sure to "log out."
Online Libraries & DatabasesInternet-based databases and library reference sites...
Subscribed Access:As members of the Bibliomation Network, we subscribe to these databases. Gunn Memorial Library card-holders can access them by entering the 14-digit barcode number on your cards when prompted for a password or ID number.
Access My Library - Thomson Gale lets you search and browse millions of articles.
iCONN, The Connecticut Digital Library, provides access to a wide selection of information and research databases.
Grolier Online offers their multimedia encyclopedia, research starters, teachers' resources, news timelines, interactive atlas, dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia Americana, a journal of 25,000 current and historical events. For home access, you must first register.
Free Library Links:
ReferenceThere's an endless supply on the Web -- here are just a few...
- Bartleby.com (Bartlett's Quotations)
- Britannica Online
- Google Maps
- Merriam Webster Dictionary & Thesaurus
Search EnginesThey all work a bit differently -- explore to find your favorite...
- AddALL lets you compare prices from dozens of sites
- Alibris out of print and "books you thought you'd never find."
- All Direct Books
- Barnes and Noble
- Bibliofind (via Amazon) finds rare, used and out of print books
- BookFinder.com scans booksellers for new, used, rare, and out of print books
- Goodreads combination newsletter and club
- Hickory Stick Bookshop browse the others, but buy locally!
- Powell's Books new and used books
Points of Interest
- ABC News
- CBS News
- MSNBC News
- CNN Interactive
- PBS NewsHour
- News Link
- The New York Times
- Time Magazine
- The Washington Post
- c|net technology news
- The Litchfield County Times
- Housatonic Times
- Waterbury Republican-American
- Danbury News-Times
- CTvisit - The Official Connecticut State Vacation Guide
- Litchfield Hills
- Visit New England
- Connecticut Explorer's Guide
- Anywho - telephone database, including reverse lookups
- Area Code Lookup
- InfoSpace.com - includes yellow pages & white pages
- Internet @ddress finder
- Yahoo People Search - search for e-mail addresses and telephone numbers
- Zip Code Lookup
- EBSCO Consumer Health Complete - database of articles, pamphlets, reports, images, drug interaction sheets and videos.
- Harvard Family Health Guide
- HealthFinder - A gateway to online consumer health information
- InteliHealth from Aetna
- Medline Plus from the U.S. National Library of Medicine and NIH
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) Health Information
- Prevention offers health, fitness and nutrition information
- Shape Up America! has ideas for fitness and nutrition
- College Search:Overwhelmed at the prospect of where to go, how to apply, what financial aid is available and what questions to ask? These links offer lots of ways to access higher education.
- All About College
- American School Search
- Careers and Colleges
- Career and College Search
- College Board/
- College Scholarships, Colleges, and Online Degrees
- Debt-Free U
- Education Online Search
- Got Resume Builder
- Locate Colleges/CT
- Match College.com
- My College Guide
- The Princeton Review
- U.S. Department of Education
- Vocational and Technical Schools
Home | What's Up | Index | About Us | Catalog & Links | Kids | Blogs | Museum | Contact Us